It's almost 18 years since I wrote this post. I remember it well, I remember both kids' births very well. In anticipation of Oliver's arrival (whose name had not been confirmed at the time) we bought a bigger house that we could barely afford. I have found myself in a messy legal battle with the pathetic little twerp, we were under a lot of stress and we had taken on the Magic Black Woman (Thuli) as his carer and we were renovating. This house.
He came out quite late that day, there had been a complication with a birth before. I was a little concerned that he would come on the 30th, which is Pooh's birthday. I wanted a Peter Green birthday (and Denny Laine as it turns out). I think he came out at 6PM. I was up at his mother's face when he was born, he arrived and promptly pissed on his mother. She asked who he looked like - at that point he probably looked more like Peter Green than anyone else.
You have no clue when it comes to your first child. You have no idea. He wasn't going to be breastfed so we took turns to feed him at night, which included changing him and burping him. This definitely was a shared responsibility. I got as much sleep as his mother did. Those Saturday afternoon sleeps were so appreciated.
When we left the hospital I put him upside down in his car seat (it attached to a bracket in the car). I left him there upside down while I fetched the car.
There's so much to write here. I'll write it for his 18th birthday.
This post is from October 29 2007
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know there's a big thing about the Oliver Empowerment Awards. But Kath and I have just been dumbstruck by something bigger than anything we have ever known. Today our son Oliver Colin Hudson was born.

And today is the 29th of October 2007. If you look at the picture you'll notice he has incredibly long and (we think) creative fingers. Very similar to one Peter Allen Greenbaum aka Peter Green. And the interesting thing about Green is that today is his birthday - he's 61. It took Kath a little bit of time to get her head around the fact that her son would be born on my biggest hero's birthday. Ever since she has known me, she has had to tolerate my never-ending passion and appreciation for this Cockney genius.
And so Oliver is born on the same day - I hope he develops the same love for Green (or at least a working tolerance) that I have. He is going to listen to a lot of Green whilst I am still around.
This could actually push him in the opposite direction.
Doesn't matter who figured that Oliver was named after another hero of mine, Ollie Halsall. Actually this isn't true either. Ollie's real name was Peter, and the name Ollie was derived from his surname, Halsall - Hallie - Ollie.
You'll notice Ollie is left-handed. So am I, that is where our musical similarities end.
Welcome to our world Oliver. Your parents cannot believe how precious you are and we are absolutely looking forward to having you around.
Comments
Post a Comment